Svetlana, an online court reporting student, demonstrates her steno machine at a recent Career Day. Interested in getting involved in promoting our profession? Contact Connie Church or Jen Pollino to find out how!
Check out the latest employment outlook report for Court Reporters.
Earn all of your required Washington State CEUs through the Washington Court Reporters Association
If you renew your court reporter certification after June 30, 2011, you must verify you have completed 5 continuing education units since you last renewed your license.
- 1 continuing education unit (CEU) = 60 minutes of education in an approved program.
- Continuing education units can’t be more than 1 year old.
- You can’t carry over excess CEUs from a previous year.
You can use any of the following to meet your continuing education requirements:
- Approved programs directly related to your development as a court reporter, which are listed in WAC 308-14-100
- Continuing education units earned for a national organization, if they were earned within 1 year of your renewal date.
How to verify you have completed your continuing education
1. Complete and sign the continuing education statement you received with your renewal notice. By signing the statement, you certify under penalty of perjury that you’ve met the continuing education requirements.
2. Return the signed statement with your renewal notice and payment.
You don’t need to send any documentation of your continuing education with your renewal. However, you must keep proof of your CEUs for at least 3 years so you can provide them to the Department of Licensing upon request.